Saturday, March 03, 2007

Friday Night Lights: Ms. Collette sat upon it, and it went right up her...

"Friday Night Lights" spoilers coming up just as soon as I re-watch the "Big Lebowski" scene where The Dude uses the same pencil trick Buddy Garrity learned...

Coming to this late, so I'll go straight to the random thoughts, and hopefully work in an overview somewhere in there:
  • Somebody needs to sit the kid playing Riggins' new l'il buddy down with the "Little Miss Sunshine" DVD and tell him, "See? This is what it looks like to seem cute but natural." I know setting the bar at Oscar Nominee doesn't seem fair, but all the other actors on this show (save Minka Kelly, and even she's grown on me) come off as so realistic that a stock Precocious Child Actor sticks out like a sore thumb.
  • Also, Taylor Kitsch and Brooke Langton (as the MILF next door) practically look the same age, which is getting in the way of whatever Mrs. Robinson vibe they're going for. (None of the actors, save Aimee Teegarden and Jesse Plemons, are actual teenagers -- for all the grief "90210" took about Gabriele Carteris and Ian Ziering and Luke Perry, that cast had more actors close to high school age than this show does -- but it stands out more sometimes than others.)
  • So many of the kids on this show are having to raise themselves, and even take care of parents or grandparents far too early. Saracen's alone with Grandma, the Riggins boys are on their own, Tyra's more responsible than her mom, Lyla has to look out for her brother and sister when her parents fight, and Smash's mom, while wise and strong, only has so many hours in the day when she's not working.
  • I wasn't in love with the episode overall -- a lot of set-up and/or elements introduced far too quickly (notably Waverly) -- but the Tyra/Tami scene was superb, even though it put too neat a bow on the problem.
  • Something that's been bugging me for a while, though on a pure nitpicking level: if Street's family is already so hard-up for cash, how did he afford that sweet quad rugby chair? In "Murderball," they make a big deal of how expensive those things are and how long all of the athletes have to save up on them. Then again, Street's on the verge of qualifying for the Olympic team like, three weeks after he got paralyzed, so I should probably let this one go.
  • At this point, Landry makes me laugh just anticipating what he might say or do in any situation.
  • Is the TMU subplot supposed to be a follow-up to that long-ago dropped bit about Coach getting a college job offer? Because I could swear that was an offer to work for Mack Brown at Texas proper.
What did everybody else think?

11 comments:

Marc said...

I loved the Tyra/Tami scene...Connie Britton is amazing. If my memory is correct Eric was offered a job as QB Coach at Texas, and I guess this was the head coaching job at TMU.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was an ok episode, there has been better episodes though. But what confuses me is why Julie had to call her mom when she was waiting in the hospital...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that first offer was for UT. I agree about Landry - I love almost every scene he's in. I think a friendship/relationship between him and Tyra would be great to watch. Jason's storyline continues to bore me, though I love Scott Porter's acting. Lyla continues to bore, but I liked seeing her drunk and a little feisty.

Scott T. said...

This is the first shaky episode in quite some time. The Riggins/precocious kid/MILF scenes and the Waverly bipolar business felt piped in from lesser shows. Worse yet, we're really just getting started on both of these subplots, and I don't see them developing into more than just time-wasters.

On a positive note, the Tyra/Tami stuff was very nicely handled, and I like the fact that Garrity's failing marriage hasn't lessoned his sense of entitlement or his sphere of influence over Dillon football. He'd almost become too cuddly a character as the season has progressed; after all, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is based on source material that emphasizes first and foremost the pressure put on the head coach by guys like Garrity and the town at large. It's interesting that Garrity, despite the humble business of begging for a few days under the Coach's roof, still feels like he hasn't forfeited any leverage in terms of determining the coach's future.

Ed said...

The big takeaway from this ep is that the balance of power has shifted. Coach is holding the cards now, not Buddy.

A few weeks ago, Eric Taylor was beholden to Garrity and to Coach Mac. Now? Other way around.

If I'm Eric, I get the hell out of Dillon and my wife away from lezbo Mayor and all the political problems that are sure to follow. Not to mention the Matt chats I just.do.not.want.to.have.

stevie said...

They hinted at Waverly having some sort of big secret when she first came back, and I think they have shown her to be somewhat erratic: taking off when she doesn't like what Smash is saying, being snippish.

It seemed when they first introduced her that her "trip to Africa" was going to be a baby, but when they showed her acting manic, it made more sense that it might've been a breakdown. I didn't see that as out of nowhere.

I didn't care much for Cousin Oliver next door, but I did like someone making Tim realize that he's not the only fatherless, underwatched boy in Dillon, and that there are more important things than himself.

The Julie/Tyra scenes were great, and Buddy Garrity had me cracking up at the end, with "something I learned off Magnum, PI" and his accusatory view of Eric's meeting.

anon said...

Alright, this is a small nit, but it bugged me. Who wrote the name down in the first place? Coach comes home with the news, he and his wife quickly get dressed, then everyone leaves the house except Buddy. Who wrote down the guy's name (and nothing else) on a pad, and why? No one needed to write down that information at all.

I guess it bugged me because, while a small detail, it will prove crucial to plot developments.

Anon

Anonymous said...

I could see Tami or Coach writing down where they would be for Julie - restaurant, address, name the reservation was under - as some sort of backup plan in case cell phones weren't working. The Taylor's have been shown to be a little overprotective of Julie ; )

Michael said...

re: Smash/Waverly, it really cribbed the whole OTH vibe with the final "OMG she broke down" scene at the end.

personally, I think they could've ended up at the same place with that storyline by having Smash talk to her father, after he dropped her off at home that night, or the next morning, or something (i.e., it shows that he's learned from his whole Steroid debacle, he's dealing with adults, getting ahead of his problems)...

Unless, they're planning on dragging out the 'Waverly bipolar' storyline for a few more episodes before 'fessing up to her parents. Or maybe he'll talk to Mama Smash first. (it'd be very 'Chad Michael Murray' of him.)

Anonymous said...

I loved Street during the really tough scenes of the first part of the season, but now he just has this stupid look on his face all the time. They've really got to break his heart again soon with the big Olympic failure, because he and Lyla are just too boring and frankly disconnected from the rest of the show.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the QB coach offer was from the same school they mentioned in an earlier episode.