Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Victor Sifuentes sleeps with the fishes?

The first of two columns for today looks at "Cane" on CBS:
Since CBS' new Jimmy Smits drama "Cane" (10 p.m., Ch. 2) so liberally borrows from "The Godfather," I feel like the only way to discuss the show is with a series of quotes from Don Vito, Michael, Clemenza and company

"I believe in America."

"Cane," like "The Godfather," is about a large immigrant family caught up in violence and intrigue in their pursuit of the American dream. The Duque clan comes from Cuba, not Italy, and their major businesses are sugar and rum, not olive oil and loansharking, but they have a patriarch on his last legs named Pancho (Hector Elizondo) and three sons waiting to be his successor.
To read the full thing (which also has some good news on "Mad Men"), click here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, more "Mad Men"!

I had already decided to skip "Cane," and reading your review reinforces my decision.

Unknown said...

Alan, do you know if there's any plans to run a marathon of the first season of Mad Men? I wanted to watch this summer but got too busy. It would be great to catch up.

Alan Sepinwall said...

Colleen, looking into it. A few people e-mailed me with the same question.

Alan Sepinwall said...

So, as of now, I'm told there are no plans for another marathon. However, if you have On Demand, it's allegedly available on every big cable system. (I have Comcast, and I think it's only available in hi-def for me; may be different elsewhere.)

genevieveyorke said...

okay, but does this mean weird non-aging Other won't be appearing on Lost? will we ever find out why he doesn't age?

Anonymous said...

"Cane"'s getting such lousy reviews that Nestor could be back by the time "Lost" returns.

Alan Sepinwall said...

okay, but does this mean weird non-aging Other won't be appearing on Lost? will we ever find out why he doesn't age?

Back in the summer, the head of CBS said that Carbonell wouldn't be allowed to return to "Lost" while "Cane" was on their air.

And "Cane" did much better than expected in the most preliminary batch of overnight ratings, drawing a bigger audience than either "Boston Legal" or "SVU," so he may be stuck in Miami for a while.

Unknown said...

No marathon? Well, boo! I have Directv so no on-demand for me. Guess I'll hope for DVD. Thanks for checking, Alan.