Friday, May 01, 2009

Farewell, Undercover Black Man. Hello, David Mills.

Today marks the retirement from blogging of Undercover Black Man, aka Emmy-winning friend of the blog David Mills. As he explained on Monday, he's done 2000 posts in a little over 2 years, and the blogging has taken its toll:
It hasn’t been healthy. Blogging interferes with my sleep pattern. It distorts my food choices. It deprives me of adequate sunlight. (I think I have rickets.) And it has alienated me from people I love and like.
So now he's going back to focusing full-time on his TV writing career. If HBO picks up "Treme," he'll likely be on the writing staff with old friend and sometime collaborator David Simon, and hopefully he'll have another chance to create a show as entertaining as "Kingpin" (and with a longer lifespan).

But before he goes, I want to point you to some of the highlights from his brief but memorable blogging career. He taught us all about the historical fear of attack of the GIANT NEGROES!!, introduced the concept of the Misidentified Black Person of the Week, and pursued other passion projects like uncovering videos of chicks with ukeleles. ("I believe history will show I was ahead of the curve on (this)," he says now.) He also talked politics with David Simon, held a roundtable discussion on the N-word and streamed an awful lot of music at his Vox stash.

UBM, the blogging world is less fun with your departure, but I understand. And, again, I apologize for any way in which I might have inspired you to get rickets.

11 comments:

Abbie said...

I am going to miss Undercover Black Man! It was a great blog.

Undercover Black Man said...

Thank you so much, Alan. You did inspire me to dive in in the first place... and you patiently instructed me on stuff like how to hyperlink. For that, you will always be my blogfather.

Tyrone said...

UBM, you *will* be tipping Alan off if/when you start up again, right?

Anonymous said...

More quality TV works from a more healthy David Mills in mind and body. Win-win. Farewell to the blog.

Undercover Black Man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Undercover Black Man said...

Tyrone: Alan would be the first to know.

Thanks, y'all.

Kensington said...

Gosh, I wish I had discovered UBM when he was still actively blogging because his stuff seems really interesting. I'm going to add him to my favorites anyway so I can browse through the archives at my leisure.

that dude said...

I've already thanked UBM for his blog on his site, but I'm also grateful for being introduced to this site from his. Links really work...when he showcases them the way he did.

Oaktown Girl said...

What anonymous said at 11:01.

And also hopefully leading to more diversity in front of and behind the camera as a result of your efforts.

dez said...

I'm gonna miss your posts, UBM! I hope you chime in here when the muse moves you.

Shane Schleger said...

Shit, I was just catching up on UBM. I guess I have more time for that now

David, you were actually at Eddie Hazel's funeral?

Good luck in the future, I hope "Treme" takes off.

Shane