Thursday, February 11, 2010

Human Target, "Run": Planes, trains, now automobiles

I've spent so much time over the last few days trying to dig out from under the blizzard that I'm going to be behind on my TV viewing for a bit. I did manage to watch last night's "Human Target" while resting my weary extremities, and thought it was a mostly fun one, even if the quality of the stuntwork in the car chase/fight sequence was diminished by the horrid green screen work. (There are moments when this show looks like it costs a lot to make, and then others where it looks like it has the same budget as '70s "Doctor Who," and occasionally those moments collide.) Given the breakneck pace of it and a good guest star turn from Kristin Lehman(*), I'm surprised it was moved so far back in the order, since I believe "Run" was the first or second episode produced after the pilot.

(*) As someone who has paid close attention to the ups and downs of the career of Chi McBride, it was amusing to see him have a few brief reunions with Lehman, who was one of his co-stars in "Killer Instinct" - or, as Chi calls it, "Kill It, It Stinks."

It's definitely not a show aiming for subtlety or deep characterization, but I like the three leads and it appeals to 13-year-old Alan, who occasionally still gets to control my viewing choices.

What did everybody else think?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the car chase scenes, did anyone notice the Prius always following them, al la Bullitt?

This show is awesome, watch LOST on Tuesdays and relax on Wednesdays with Human Target.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree Alan. The show is fairly well written, is well acted and cast and they do a good job with the weekly guest stars. A show doesnt have to be Lost or Mad Men to be worthwhile and good entertainment.

I, for one, couldnt be happier that both Chi McBride and Mark Valley finally found a show that plays to their respective strengths and I'm pretty happy that its on one show.

Anonymous said...

I love this show. I love its throwback quality and how easy it is to watch. How is it doing ratings-wise?

Elena said...

Yeah its just fun, I saw a touch of Bond in there last night, a bit of a Rockford Files vibe, and a lot of good old fashioned action drama.

Toby O'B said...

Has the "Silence of the Lambs" routine of "characters being in different locations but we're led to believe that they're about to intersect" been used so much that it's no longer a surprise? No suspense at all for me as the ADA entered the judge's office and the dirty cop and his crew looked like they were about to take her down.

But otherwise it was fun and even the green screen didn't detract from that car fight.

I thought the final scene of Chase confronting the dirty cop in his motel room had a "Lady or the Tiger?" quality to it. Depending on the audience member's mindset, did he just rough up the cop before taking him in, or did he beat him to death?

With Guerrero, you know there'd be only one result, but Chase could go either way on the issue.

Andrew said...

This show is basically "Burn Notice: San Fransisco" w/o the question of who burned the lead, but instead "what are you running from?" and with Jackie Earle Haley instead of a hot, skinny Irish weapons dealer ef-girl friend. For me, that makes me happy, because Burn Notice is one of my favorite shows on tv. HT's cast is spot on, I think, and watching it, along with the ABC 9 pm comedies and Leverage makes Wednesday a nice respite from the Lost Tuesday night mysteries.

Alyson said...

I quite liked the chemistry between Mark Valley and Kristin Lehman, and Guerrero's scorched-earth policy towards dealing with associates will never not be funny. My main quibble is that the "twist" with the mob boss being the ADA's father was so obvious it could have been viewed from space.

Nice to see the CSM getting some work, though.

Stellar Drift said...

The only requirements I have of this show is that Chance never loses, otherwise go for it *g*

Anonymous said...

I think this is quite a great show at the moment. The best part is you know things are predictible, you know there's not much subtlety, you know you're not going to get that deep dramatic twist, but somehow it's still enjoyable.

This is one show I can turn on, shut off my brain and enjoy.

Halli said...

As a resident of San Francisco, this show absolutely drove me nuts. Vancouver can stand in for many, many cities; San Francisco is not one of them. No exteriors of the real city hall, the hall of justice, anything. Car chases that ran for miles without going over a hill or a bridge. None of the characters resemble anyone in the actual SF. The opening sequence just might have happened in Marin County or on the peninsula.

Dan said...

No mention of Whitey Doyle (the mob boss turned informant) being played by the Cigarette Smoking Man from X-Files? Alan, I figured that bit of meta was right up your alley.