Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Me want food!

I don't watch a lot of food-related shows, even though I almost never regret the occasions when I sit down for an episode of "Top Chef," or "No Reservations" or "Feasting on Asphalt." I guess my love of fictional narrative TV overwhelms my love of food and the cranky people who make and/or eat it.

But during this slow period, I've been watching a lot of Travel Channel's "Man V. Food," in which a guy named Adam Richman tours comfort food joints around the country to find out how they make their delicious (and, admittedly, artery-clogging) signature dishes. (Here he is at Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh.) And at the end of every episode, he attempts to win a notorious eating challenge in whatever city he's in: eating a 7-lb. burger, consuming three overstuffed sandwiches in under an hour, etc. He's not a competitive eater and doesn't always beat the challenge, but it's impressive (and sometimes gross) to watch him try.

It ain't deep, and it certainly ain't healthy (I could feel my arteries clog just from watching), but it's fun.

There's a mini-marathon today from 5-8 p.m., and you can find a full schedule at the official site.

9 comments:

lungfish said...

I seem to always stumble upon the same episode (the 7 lb burger one). Not sure the show would hold my attention for the non-challenge parts but otherwise, from just the one episode which I've come across about 8 times, it's entertaining.

Anonymous said...

God, I want that pizza. I guess that's wrong at 10am?

Bobman said...

God, I want that pizza. I guess that's wrong at 10am?

Just pretend it's cold, then it's a perfectly acceptable breakfast :)

bill said...

Alan, know anything about Wreakreation nation on Discovery later this week? I came across an ad and saw it was hosted by Dave Mordal. He's a funny guy and it looks like an entire show of "hold my beer and watch this" moments.

Anonymous said...

I've just set up a season pass. I hope he tackles the 15 pound burger at the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in western Pennsylvania at some point. I've got a morbid fascination with oversize food, especially that one.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm the only one that finds this show and the challenges to be more disgusting than entertaining. Not exactly "proud to be an American" tv programming.

Anonymous said...

There's always gotta be one anonymous killjoy.

I've seen 2 eps so far and liked it; it's a lower-key "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" (which I also enjoy even though the internet thinks I shouldn't.)

Matt said...

I'm not terribly fond of the challenges, which are kind of gross, but the idea of a show focused on "pig-out joints" across the USA is a good one, and when I'm familiar with the city, they typically make good choices. (Also, note that the Sasquatch Burger no longer exists, though it seems like a bullshit claim to me.)

Anonymous said...

Hehe I live in Austin and work right across the street from Round Rock Donuts (AND a papa johns). It's so hard resisting the smell of the glazed cakes every single morning...

-EmeraldLiz