Monday, March 23, 2009

Programming advisory: HIMYM at 8 tonight, not 8:30

Just in case you don't have a DVR that automatically grabs new episodes of certain shows, note that tonight's episode of "How I Met Your Mother" is airing at 8 p.m., rather than 8:30 (when CBS is airing a rerun of last season's "The Bracket"). My guess is, with "Big Bang Theory" and "Two and a Half Men" already renewed for next year, and with a "HIMYM" renewal basically a sure thing, CBS is testing out how "HIMYM" does leading off the night, which it hasn't done in a while, to give them more options for figuring out next year's schedule.

9 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Alan,
I have been catching up with HIMYM on lifetime. I have enjoyed the show and your posts, but they seem to end a couple of episodes before the season 1 conclusion. Am I missing something?

Anonymous said...

I'm always skeptical that last-minute changes to the schedule are reliable "proof" of anything about a show's viability.

All this will do is annoy fans who didn't find out about the time change in advance. Not everyone can be connected to the internet all day long.

Alan Sepinwall said...

Mark, the change isn't what has me confident about renewal; the ratings (one of the few shows on TV to be up this year) are.

And the change isn't that last-minute; I just forgot to write about it earlier.

Anonymous said...

If the plan is to test its ability to lead off the night, wouldn't it be better to actually have it lead in to a new episode of another show?

Pamela Jaye said...

always appreciated
(I have a DVR but I was confused about the lack of BBT and House - which is a rerun)

Anonymous said...

they promoted the switch of time quite heavily during tourney action

Anonymous said...

Too bad the episode was forced meh.

Alan Sepinwall said...

And now we're done with comments on this thread. A "HIMYM" review will be up later tonight, or else tomorrow morning.