Monday, January 25, 2010

Life Unexpected, "Home Inspected": You can pick your friends, but...

A quick review of "Life Unexpected" episode two coming up just as soon as I turn a bong into a lamp...

There are some very good things in "Home Unexpected," particularly the continuing performances by the three leads, and the expansion of Lux's world (along with an explanation of what she was planning to do if/when she got emancipated). But there are also some very frustrating things, too, as the show falls victim to the "Repeat the pilot a half dozen times" pattern that so many new series feel compelled to follow. In the pilot, and this episode, and next week's, and (based on some comments Liz Tigelaar made at press tour), we're going to get a lot of stories in which things seem to be going hunky-dory between Lux, Cate and Baze, then Lux has some reason to back away, then realizes in the end that they care about her (and vice versa) and everyone tries to make a fresh start.

And I get why networks push for that approach - not everyone sees the pilot of a new show, particularly on a less-viewed network like the CW, and one without big stars, and so you want to give any potential newbies something to grab onto - as well as why Tigelaar might think it makes sense for the characters. (Not that this is a very realistic show, but on whatever level of realism we think it takes place on, it would be weird if there weren't some early bumps in the road for the trio.) But for those of us watching every episode, it can get a little wearying.

Also, the story about Cate's radio job bugged me. Yes, they established in the pilot that she and Ryan have to keep their relationship a secret for the sake of the show, and so it might follow that she has to do the same with her kid. But there comes a point where all the secret-keeping can be more detrimental to the show's success - sooner or later, won't they be spotted around town as the minor local celebrities the show wants us to view them as? - and Cate's on-air confession at the end seems particularly damaging. First she says on-air (in the pilot) that she has a kid, then doubles back and lies about it early in this one, then goes back to the truth again at the end. If the whole point of these shows is that listeners begin to feel like they know the hosts and have a kind of one-sided friendship with them, how are they going to react when it starts to become obvious how fake the host's on-air personalities really are?

What did everybody else think?

12 comments:

Amy said...

I'm on board enough that, despite all the issues you've mentioned, I set the season pass on my DVR as soon as this episode ended. I see a lot of potential in the leads and I miss having a smart teenager to root for in my tv rotation.

I was happy to see they made Cate look like she's in her 30s, not her 20s, as she did in the pilot.

My only complaint differs from yours, but is related to radio show. I'm not buying Cate and Jack McFee as wild shock jocks - or scandalous at least - djs. I hope they either give them racier radio bits, or (preferably) get away from that story line.

Anonymous said...

I was confused on the part about Lux's name. How did the nurse know she had two dark haired parents? Baze wasn't even in the picture because he thought Cate had gotten an abortion.

DS said...

I'm still liking the show a lot - I'm a sucker for stories about nontraditional family units. Also, I totally called that Lux's friends would inevitably have weirder names than her.

But more to the point, how is "local morning radio DJ" a lucrative job, let alone a full-time one? Even in a town like Portland. Although I suppose it's possible they're syndicated, but even so.

Devin McCullen said...

I'm enjoying the show so far, we'll have to see how it develops once they get out of the introduction phase.

I would have liked the "Who are the Spin Doctors?" joke better if it wasn't right next to a Sarah McLachlan picture. (Yeah, she lasted longer, but still doesn't seem right on a 15-year-old's wall.)

Adele said...

I am really responding to Kris Polaha's work as Baze. He's making a guy that is completely childish quite endearing despite making lots of crappy judgement calls. The moment where they are told that Lux won't be able to stay at his place (just Cate's) was heartbreaking.

It's the idea of a young dad and a teen girl connecting that is really grabbing me on this show. Cate's had time to think about her child, bond with her child (in utero) etc yet he's had this all sprung on him to some degree. Yet he's made an equal emotional leap with Cate. Really want to see more Baze and Lux scenes!

Anonymous said...

Alan, I heard it in the podcast, but are you really not going to drop it in a blogpost?

Because the wonderful thing about Tigelaar . . .

M said...

I like that this is a teen show that has potential for real, uncontrived conflict because of Lux's background in foster care. Instead of just being relationship melodrama (although I'm sure we'll also be getting more of that, which I'm ok with as long as the show doesn't go overboard), there's a bit of substance here as well.

Also, is it just me, or did Lux seem a lot older here than she did in the pilot? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it was definitely something that stood out.

Nicole said...

I am also loving the Baze/Lux thing - Kris Polaha is doing a great job in the role. His reaction shots are really well done and his expression when he was told that Lux can't stay with him was really emotional - a turning point for his character.

I think that most well-known DJ's on big stations in major cities do make their living that way. The morning show I listen to in Toronto is the only job that the guys have (they often refer to what they're going to do for the rest of the day). Mind you, I'm sure that they do things like appearances, ads, etc for extra cash. But they did show Cate and Ryan hosting a local cruise of some sort in the pilot, so it's obvious that four hours in the morning isn't their only responsibility every day. I actually thought that they did a good job coming up with jobs for all three main adults that give them irregular hours, allowing them to have daytime storylines, etc. A lot of shows don't do this (Friends comes to mind) and then you're left wondering how someone who works in an office has so much time during the day to hang out with friends, shop, have wacky adventures, etc.

Marc B. said...

I agree with most of the posters about the potential of this show...but I think it took a big step backward with episode 2. The tone felt completely different than during the pilot. And I didn't buy Lux's friends, their situation or their friendship with her.

Too much of this second episode was "wacky" hijinks with the car driving into the planter or the smoke detector beeping. The show feels a lot more contrived than I want it to, especially when they've got an interesting city for a backdrop and they make cool "local" references like the one to Voodoo Donuts. Those aspects make me think the show should be evolving a lot more organically.

Of course, my complaint about the evolution of a show is the total opposite of Alan's suggestion that the pilot needs to be retold a half-dozen times. This show that starts with so much promise and possibility now seems like it's going to stall before picking up any steam.

Andy L said...

I am still kind of on the fence about this show, although from what Alan says it sounds like I should wait until episode 5 or 6 to decide.

I enjoyed the pilot, and while this episode went over a lot of familiar beats, I found myself more dissapointed with the new conflicts and struggles. The idea that Lux and Cate hadn't talked at all about living arrangements, or that Lux had no idea what was being done to the attic? Giant flower pots in front of Cate's house that had never been in any of the establishing shots and then dissapear again after they have served their conflict-brewing purpose? Baze's friend telling him EXACTLY WHAT HE NEEDS TO HEAR in one big speech? One of Baze's friends having an inflatable sex sheep?

There is just a little too much "Well, what if we?" coming unfiltered out of that writers room. This episode felt like a first draft that never got revised.

None the less, I will stick around a few more weeks cause I do like the actors and I think the premise could be solid if done right.

Maura said...

But more to the point, how is "local morning radio DJ" a lucrative job, let alone a full-time one? Even in a town like Portland. Although I suppose it's possible they're syndicated, but even so.

Morning and evening drive times are the most profitable time periods for radio. Even in smaller markets, the DJs who are on at those times make reasonable money (although no one makes tons of money in radio). As Nicole mentioned, they generally get paid for special appearances. And the most popular DJs do a few of those every week. So I don't think either Cate or Ryan is rich. They just seem rich to Lux's friends.

Anyway, this episode had a few problems, but it's only the second one. I think they did a good job of hitting the important points.

Also, I totally called that Lux's friends would inevitably have weirder names than her.

Heh. Who knew that was possible? But I was thinking the same thing.

Edo said...

Turns out the show's concept isn't that far fetched. An article in the New York Times says there's a growing trend of trying to find long-lost relatives of unadopted foster children.