Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Dedicated non-follower of fashion

Rolled into the press tour hotel last night and promptly headed to a cable network-sponsored party to catch up with the other critics. (Between the winter and summer tours, we spend about 10 percent of every year with each other, which is more than I see most of my friends and family.) I blogged about it over at NJ.com, including my unsuccessful attempt to trick Mark Cuban into fixing the Knicks.

Meanwhile, today's All TV column review of "Project Runway" was guest-written by Ledger fashion ace Jenifer Braun, both because I was traveling all day and because, as I said the last time I got Jen to review "Runway" for me, my idea of fashion is deciding whether to wear the comic book t-shirt or the movie t-shirt (or to combine the two and wear my Mr. Incredible t-shirt). It's very rare that I see a show as obviously well put-together as "Runway" that I just don't give a toss about, but that's what friends are for.

Anybody watch anything interesting on the tube last night?

7 comments:

Adam said...

Treasure Hunters remains decidedly non-awful, but flawed. Love, love, love the difficulty of the clues. Hate with a passion of a thousand burning suns the stiff "host" (who's never on-site), the ubiquity of the product placement (including added-in-post-production billboards for the financial sponsor), and the sense that the producers aren't telling us everything that they've told to help the competitors.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan, Love your column. You asked if we watched anything good last night and it reminded me that you're not watching 2 of my favorite summer shows - The Closer and 4400? Any reason for this?

Alan Sepinwall said...

Becky, as I've said here in the past, with The 4400, I think the plots are interesting but I don't give a toss about any of the characters. The Closer's a decent enough mystery series, but I think Kyra overdoes a lot of the performance (the accent and the makeup especially), and I was so turned off by the first season's "Brenda Leigh is a genius and everyone else is petty and mean!" approach that, even though they've toned that way the hell down this year, it's not something I need to go out of my way to watch.

Southern Girl said...

Yup, I watched a couple of reruns of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" on G4. I'd forgotten how much I loved that show. I'm just a geek at heart.

Adam said...

Also, I saw the return of Pee Wee's Playhouse on Adult Swim last night. Man, that show was trippy. Had forgotten about some of the claymation, but remembered all the songs instantly.

Eric said...

I haven't watched it yet, but "Solitary" on Fox Reality is the best show this summer that no one's heard of.

Anonymous said...

You should DEFINITELY watch The Closer. Kyra Sedgwick IS summer TV.