Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Plays well with others

Those of you who were here a year ago may remember that I had a mic-o a mic-o battle with a certain popular online TV reporter at the "Gilmore Girls" session. Well, after the "Friday Night Lights" session (which was really a lovefest, and which I'll be writing about extensively down the road, after I've transcribed all my interviews), I moved from scrum to scrum, chatting with Adrianne Palicki, then Jason Katims for a story I'm thinking about on the Landry-Tyra relationship (which Katims promised will be a major focus of the new season). I couldn't find Jesse Plemons anywhere, so I figured I would catch him at the party, only to spot him as I was walking out of the room. I walked towards him...

...and so did the other reporter in question. We looked at each other for a moment, and he graciously offered to let me go first. I suppose, given that I "won" our battle last time, the thing to do would have been to let him go first, but I didn't want this to turn into one of those "No, no, no, no -- after you" back and forth things, so after suggesting the compromise solution of talking to him together in a mini-scrum (he declined), I did a quick interview with Jesse, then turned it over to my counterpart.

And everyone was happy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for not exactly remembering all the details. Ausiello?

Anonymous said...

anon9:04 I'm sure it Mike Ausiello... they even talked about it on their TV Guide podcast after the fact haha...

...they better bring it up again... and maybe it's just me, but this is hilariously; totally should be a yearly running gag

Anonymous said...

That's right. I remember now, because Dan Manu was talking about it, and Angel Cohn (thank god she left) felt bad because she and Alan are friends.

Anonymous said...

I've been eagerly awaiting your thoughts and comments on the FNL session all day--glad to hear it's getting the full treatment!

Anonymous said...

I think you should grab one of his Smurfs and send it on a round-the-world trip. It can send him postcards!

Toby O'B said...

Well, at least you weren't running with scissors. This time....

Joel said...

Mike's one of those guys that has an ego but is still -- in general -- a nice, helpful person.

But I loved reading about the Sepinwall / Ausiello throwdown last year. Especially Alan's version.

Jouster said...

Where can I read about this?

Alan Sepinwall said...

Read about what? Last year's smackdown? Click here for the old-style blog from last summer, and scroll down to the entry titled "Final Fight."

I'm sure Michael's own account of it is somewhere on TVGuide.com.

He and I talked briefly at the NBC party (right before my near-triumph at "The Singing Bee"), and we agreed that we now had some closure on the Gilmore thing.

Anonymous said...

God. Were you hit with a Smurf, or a bottle of Snapple?

;)