Monday, July 30, 2007

Saving Grace: Oh my God, they killed...

Not a lot of comments on my first "Saving Grace" post. Is there not a lot of enthusiasm for this show because of the angel stuff? Anyway, spoilers for episode two coming up just as soon as I find a tube of glitter...

How's this for prompt service? By far my biggest complaint about the police scenes from the pilot was the presence of a stock Disapproving Black Captain, so the very kind producers end episode two with the semi-shocking death of said DBC. (He'll be replaced by Lorraine Toussaint, who I liked on Lifetime's "Any Day Now," but who I fear could become a Female Disapproving Black Captain -- two token cliches for the price of one! -- unless the writing for her is much stronger than it was for the late, unlamented Lt. Yukon.)

Beyond that, episode two was notable for its continued use of the Oklahoma locale. Last week it was the visit to the Federal Building memorial; this week it was Grace rolling up to the crime scene (at an oil rig, natch) with her deer kill strapped to her hood -- or, rather, everyone's complete non-reaction to it. The case itself wasn't particularly subtle in its parallels to Grace's situation with Ham and Butch, but at least it offered James Marsters to play a role in which he was completely unrecognizable from his days as Spike. (In case you didn't spot him -- and I'll admit that I didn't, until another critic pointed it out and I checked the DVD -- he was the dead guy's business partner.)

On the Earl front, I like how he's allowing Grace and Rhetta to learn certain facts (or not) like the lack of DNA in the saliva, then messing with their hunt by subbing in the bird feather for the angel feather Grace snatched. The scene where she visits Leon in prison suggests that Earl looks the same to everyone, which I think is a waste of a good idea. Nancy Miller, the creator, says God sends different angels to different people, depending on who they'd respond to, but Leon doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd give Earl the time of day if Earl were human.

I'm still not sure all the pieces fit together, but damn, Holly Hunter is interesting to watch.

What did everybody else think?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if that was Marsters. (And actually, it's a Buffy reunion of sorts. since the cop who's Grace's hunting buddy was one of the soldiers in Season 4. He also had a recurring role on Ugly Betty.)

Honestly, I've had the first 2 episodes on but haven't really been paying attention to them. But that's not necessarily the show, it's me messing around on the computer. I plan to keep watching for now, but I'm not really sure all the elements are working together.

Christy said...

I watched the first episode but wasn't tempted to return for the next, even though stories of redemption are among my favorite. Hunter's character was just too sordid for me to revisit regularly and the scene with her nephew at the end of the first episode wasn't enough to make her palatable. Earl I like even though he chews. Sexist of me, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

I have watched the first two episodes, and I'm really taken by the show, and by Holly Hunter in particular. I think she's spectacular, and I love her relationship with Laura San Giacomo's character. I hope you keep posting about the show, Alan. (P.S. Am thrilled with your Freaks & Geeks posts!!)

TL said...

. Is there not a lot of enthusiasm for this show because of the angel stuff?

Actually, I'm not too enthused about the police procedural stuff. That, and TNT has a pretty lousy track record.

Edward Copeland said...

I'm actually enjoying it a lot so far, though I agree that the police stuff is its weakest element. It's taking a lot of the same sort of issues John From Cincinnati flirts with, but presents them in a more coherent, entertaining way.

Taleena said...

I am not bothered by angel stuff and I like both H. Hunter and Lara San Giancomo but this show just didn't click with me.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the posters above about the police procedural weakness of the show. As procedurals go, this is one of the weakest. It's as if someone pitched Cold Case meets Touched by an Angel or something like that, and the sum is less than those parts. I like Leon Rippy and Holly Hunter, but I am not sure if that is enough to sustain a show. I think it needs a bit more mythology about it rather than lame crime of the week.

Jon88 said...

Lt. Yukon made a real red-shirt remark early in the episode, something about what a terrific family/life he had. I figured him to be a goner from that, and that alone.

RandomRanter said...

I am watching, I think the show has some great moments. I think it's interesting that while Earl said that religion wasn't important that Grace and the others seem to be discussing it in not just a Christian but a Catholic context.
And I agree that burying the whole I can't remember what Earl looks like thing after we've been recognizing Earl left, right, and center for two eps was a bit much.

Beckylooo said...

I enjoy Hunter immensely but it feels like her character was transplanted from another show entirely. The tone is soft and treacley and then there's Grace in all her boozin' screwin' glory. Over all, I'm not diggin' it.

Dani In NC said...

The angel part of this show is the only thing that has kept me and my husband coming back. The police part is forgettable. Killing the police chief is a plot twist they should have saved until later in the season. It is wasted in the second episode because viewers haven't had enough time to get to know the character. It was filmed as a big emotional moment but I didn't feel anything.