Thursday, February 04, 2010

Demetri & Sarah, together at last

As mentioned from time to time, there are certain shows I watch but don't write about much, either because I view them irregularly, or because they don't seem to lend themselves well to the episode-by-episode review structure I use here on the blog. FX's very funny "Archer" qualifies for the latter group, while "Important Things with Demetri Martin" and "The Sarah Silverman Program," both returning tonight (at 10 & 10:30, respectively) on Comedy Central, fit into the center of that particular Venn diagram.

I enjoy them both for different reasons - "Important Things" for Martin's dry, absurdist wit (which we discussed in this interview last year), "Sarah Silverman" for the surreal, go-for-broke-ness of it - and tonight's season premieres are good examples of each. Martin explores the subject of "attention" (he suggests any statement will get more attention if you loudly count down to it), while Silverman misses a lip-waxing appointment, takes her new mustache way too seriously, and then sings an incredibly catchy, disturbing song about a part of the human anatomy.

You have to be in the right head space to enjoy either one, and it's not exactly the same head space, but the two do manage to play well together in this musical clip.

10 comments:

Ryan W said...

Have you considered doing a "short takes" column each week to give brief thoughts/blurbs on the shows you watch but do not provide full writeups for? You already appear busy enough as it is, but I would imagine something like this would take far less time and effort than your reviews of some of the lesser shows in Sepinwalland.

Jen said...

I've never watched either show, but based solely on the posters plastered all over NYC I may need to start. They're side-by-side posters: one of which shows sarah and demetri facing forward saying "They're back" The other shows them turned around, saying "Their backs." Well played.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE Demetri Martin, but I think his show is unwatchable. He is exceptionally talented and very funny but it just doesn't translate to a show.

dez said...

I like Demetri's show enough to keep watching, even if all the bits don't always work ("Important Things Things" is kind of dorky, e.g.), but I could never get into Sarah's show despite liking her as a comedian, mostly because I don't care for the auxiliary characters.

Andy L said...

OK. Needs to be said. Between your love of the moustaches at Press Tour, last night's Modern Family and Sarah Silverman tonight, I think your "Moustache Trend" article is LONG overdue.

jcpdiesel21 said...

I'm happy to see that Important Things With Demetri Martin is finally back. I really like Demetri's sense of humor, and love his stand-up routines. His drawings are always so clever and amusing.

The show doesn't always quite work; some of the skits are odd and don't fit well with everything else, but overall I usually enjoy the episodes.

princessapr said...

I neither like nor dislike Dmitri Martin's show, but I have a season pass for it. It's perfect to watch a segment before winding down for the evening or while getting ready. It does seem a disjointed show when I watch live or all in one pass, but the way I watch, if it makes me laugh, it's good. If it doesn't, I can delete. His type of humor does make me laugh in the "after my bedtime, anything makes me at least giggle" way.

belinda said...

I really enjoyed Martin's show last season (I can see why some people would hate it, but somehow all the segments - even the weaker ones - are kind of just perfect for me, and I totally adore the show). As for Silverman, I like her as a comedian, but I never quite got the hang of her show somehow. Yet I'm curious to see how this pairing of his show and her show would play, so I'd check out her show again too.

Which is just what the scheduling and marketing people wanted to hear, I guess! I'm a sucker for those things.

Jenna Culbertson said...

Neither of these two are "that" funny and to bring them back for another season leaves a lot to be desired...

Trilby said...

She's very pretty. That's all I want to say.