Monday, February 22, 2010

'Men of a Certain Age' finishes strong first season: Sepinwall on TV

In today's column, I talk to "Men of a Certain Age" co-creator Mike Royce about how the first season went, why people underestimated Ray Romano as an actor, etc. We talked for a long time about what's quickly become one of my favorite shows, and I'm going to have a full interview transcript posted tonight after the season one finale airs.

And speaking of that finale, if you watch the show on regular TV (as opposed to downloading or other options), check the note at the end of the column for why you want to be sure to watch or record tonight's 10 o'clock version and not any later ones.

9 comments:

olucy said...

Thanks for the heads up about the 10pm airing. I'll be sure to catch it so as not to miss the "deleted scenes."

I thought Joe ran a party supply store, not a sporting goods store?

Alan Sepinwall said...

You're right, it's a party store. Fixed.

JanieJones said...

I'm glad that I already set the dvr for the 10pm showing with the extended 5 minutes (it showed up on my viewing as 5 min. longer).

Interesting take on the lifespan of the series but I can see and understand Royce's perspective.
I think it's smart to think that a series cannot go for a very long span. I find most shows that run in long spans become tiresome and stale. There are a few exceptions (for me) though.

I'm just happy to have watched the show and that it was renewed for a second season.
I think Romano, Braugher and Bakula are doing a fine job.
Looking forward to the finale.

Jon88 said...

I notice a Cary Hoffman listed as a producer on the show. Any way to know if that's the same Cary Hoffman who owns the Stand Up New York comedy club?

dez said...

I like that Royce is thinking end-date already because I think that will make the series that much better. I also second the thanks for the heads up on the 10 p.m. airing--DVR will be set with padding just in case!

Anonymous said...

Very good article.

One typo - presece

Pamela Jaye said...

Any way to know if that's the same Cary Hoffman who owns the Stand Up New York comedy club?

yes

Anonymous said...

I have watched this show and I was under the impression that Ray Roman's character owned a party store, not a sporting goods store as stated in the article. Isn't that right?

Anonymous said...

Whoops. Sorry didn't see the comment above when I got here.