Sunday, November 01, 2009

Bored to Death, "The Case of the Stolen Sperm": Who's your daddy?

I'm too busy watching the World Series to write much about tonight's penultimate episode of "Bored to Death" season one. After last week's George/Ray breakthrough, I was disappointed that the two had so little shared screentime tonight, but at least "The Case of the Stolen Sperm" had one of the show's funnier faux-noir storylines so far, with some nice guest work by Jenny Slate (filmed before she was cast on "SNL") as the stoner from the food co-op, and some good Schwartzman/Galifianakis teamwork throughout.

What did everybody else think?

7 comments:

James Kang said...

Very funny episode, but then again I've been really happy with the whole series so far. I haven't seen an HBO comedy this good since Extras from 2005. I prefer Bored to Death, actually.

Alan, it sounds like you liked the episode. Does this break the pattern of only the even-numbered episodes being good?

I also remember you mentioning on this blog that you're a big fan of The Treatment. Have you listened to Elvis' interview with Jason Schwartzman from last week? It's really good. Schwartzman is every bit as articulate and intelligent as I hoped he'd be.

James Kang said...

A few more things I wanted to say about Bored to Death. Does it seem like this first season is following a three-act structure, or am I mistaken? If I remember right, the second episode didn't really continue to set up the show, so instead of the first, second and third acts breaking up into 2-4-2, it's more like 1-5-2. Does that make sense? The final two episodes are clearly supposed to wrap up Season 1.

And I got a good laugh from that last line.

So Cal said...

The last 2 episodes have been great. It seems like the show has found its footing...hopefully this carries over to next season

DDub said...

Any idea what the Beach Boys-esque song was during the montage?

Molly Lambert said...

Beach Boys type song = The Explorers Club, a great band from South Carolina.

http://www.myspace.com/explorersclub

LA said...

This was easily my favorite episode of the series to date.

Urno Talbot said...

I cant believe the show only had 8 episodes. This was the funniest one for me, I found every scene LOL. I want, no I need, one of those vaporizers.