Friday, February 09, 2007

Survivor: To have and have not

Some brief, unspoilered thoughts on "Survivor: Fiji." We can leave discussion of the boot until the comments, since there were far too many people for me to care about anybody going home yet. (Save maybe "The Professor," whose moment with opening the crate was beautiful.)

Seriously, 16 was too many when the series started, 18 is way too many and I'm glad that one woman had a panic attack the night before filming so at least it's 19 instead of 20. I'm vaguely curious how the team pick and Exile Island banishment would've played out with a full complement, but they need to do a quintuple-elimination pretty soon.

Still want to see how the luxury twist plays out before passing judgment. Does that one team get to stay there the entire time, or is each reward challenge about who gets to live there for a couple of nights?

What did everybody else think?

7 comments:

Mac said...

I may be in the minority, but I don't watch "Survivor" to see people in misery; I watch for the game and social elements. So I am not happy about this latest variation.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind a little misery; it makes for some interesting interactions (and occasionally funny meltdowns).

If the luxury twist turns out to be based on who wins the reward, that would be cool. It definitely would work better here than on The Apprentice (which I've stopped watching finally). I wouldn't mind seeing how driven they would be knowing they would get the good camp if they win reward. I'm much less interested in any sort of "haves vs. have-nots" crap, so I hope getting the good camp turns out to be reward-based.

Yao Man is da man. I also like Earl. Dreamz and Rocky are supremely annoying already, and I wish Sylvia had the presence of mind to stick them on the same team for maximum entertainment. Miss Bossy Boots is probably next off anyway, so maybe she didn't care. No read on any of the others yet--there's too damn many of them.

I hope they tell us who the weenie is who crapped out of the show. It kinda pisses me off that she took the slot of someone who might have been a good presence on the show.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe people still watch this show.

I remember when it premiered and you literally couldn't turn on the tv or radio or read anything without a mention of the show.

Now? I never hear a word about it except from television journalists. If roughly 15 million people are watching every episode, they're being awfully quiet about it.

Anonymous said...

I found it interesting that the season following the "racial diversity" season seems to have fewer white contestants than any other season. But I could just not remember older seasons well enough.

I think the have/have not idea would be a lot more exciting if it wasn't being done this season on The Apprentice as well.

Beth - bethmauldin.com

dark tyler said...

At some point during the episode, I couldn't believe I was watching an argument between two people calling themselves Rocky and Dreamz. Oh my.

I like that this season seems to already have both the smart guy and the dumb guy singled out. Yao "Yo! Man!" Man opening that box was awesome. On the other side of the spectrum, we have, yes, Rocky. Dude, "askew" is not a big word. It's five letters. But I doubt that this Sly doppelganger could even count to five. :P

Anonymous said...

Dez-tvguide.com has an interview with the woman who quit. you can find it under interview and features. It's pretty interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, anon, I'll check it ou~