Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Open thread: Scrubs and The Shield

Since I watched the season's first four episodes of both "Scrubs" and "The Shield" in one great clump a few weeks ago, it's hard for me to separate memories of one episode from another. I'm pretty sure, for instance, that one of last night's "Scrubs" had the gag where Elliott's hands get transplanted onto J.D., and that Forest Whitaker gives Aceveda his chewing gum test on "The Shield," but I'm afraid to discuss either one for fear of mixing up episodes -- which, in the case of "The Shield," would be a big fat spoiler.

So, since the comments have kicked up ever since that Sorkin/Schlamme item, I'll open it up to anyone who watched either show and wants to comment. Did you like Whitaker? Do you think the gags on "Scrubs" are getting too bizarre even for that show? Whatever.

7 comments:

Tosy And Cosh said...

I've only seen the first ep so far, but the whole JD in the backpack thing *was* a bit creepy.

Anonymous said...

the scrubs Kung Fu bit was hilarious, as was JD's ideal roommate: Elliott and Turk mixed together.

Aceveda took the gum, where Corrinne didn't. Good episode. I really like the Danny baby pool board. Your guess on who's the dad?

Alan Sepinwall said...

Again, it's been a few weeks, but I could've sworn it was the opposite: Aceveda didn't take the gum (and, in fact, recognized the trick Kavanaugh was trying), while Corinne reluctantly pocketed a stick.

My two candidates for Danny's baby daddy: sexually confused Julian as sperm donor to help Danny before her biological clock runs out, or Ronnie. Hey, they must've added him to the opening credits for a reason...

Alan Sepinwall said...

Also, I thought Elliott/Turk wasn't so much J.D.'s ideal roommate as his ideal lover. Any attempt to hide the man-love is long gone.

Anonymous said...

I thought the two Scrubs' episodes this week were an improvement from the first week. Ken Jenkins was great in both episodes tonight, particularly the second where he goes head to head with the always great John C. McGinley. Braff, Faison, and Chalke all did well in the first episode, dealing with their various problems. I enjoy Scrubs more when it tackles some serious issues to go with the comedy. Episodes such as My Screw-up and My Cake are serious, but two of the best episodes of the series.

Anonymous said...

Alan, you're totally right. I must have seen too much new tv in succession, I messed it up. Indeed Corinne took the gum reluctantly, and Aceveda saw right through the trick and didn't take it.

Baby pool: they're hinting at Vic, so I'm thinking Ronnie.


Betrayal Five ;-)
(And how come JD has such a healthy tan?)

Alan Sepinwall said...

Well, he was filming a movie right before production started, but according to IMDb, the locations were Madison, WI and Montreal, two cities you don't usually associate with a nice tawny bronze. Maybe J.D.'s just been watching a lot of "Queer Eye."