Friday, June 20, 2008

'In Treatment' renewed

This had been rumored for a while, but HBO made it official today: "In Treatment" will be back for a second season, with at least Gabriel Byrne and Dianne Wiest reprising their roles. Playwright turned "Criminal Intent" producer Warren Leight will take over from Rodrigo Garcia as showrunner -- as I understand it, Garcia's not leaving the show; it's just too difficult for one man to be in charge of that many episodes -- and the show will be relocating production to New York, no doubt for Leight. (Paul's practice will still be in a Washington, DC suburb; my guess is either he'll be in a new house or we won't see much of the exterior anymore.)

In terms of other returning regulars, the press release simply says "Additional cast members will be announced as they are confirmed." In the Israeli original, a few of the first season patients continued into season two, notably the Jake and Amy counterparts.

9 comments:

Jefferson Burns said...

such good news. michelle forbes better be one of those "additional castmemebers."

Anonymous said...

I had kind of forgotten about this show, but this is a good decision by HBO. For those of us with HBO On Demand this was a solid addition to the network. I would like to see all new patients, the only one I would bring back is the Monday woman but only because she is smokin hot.


In other HBO news has anyone else seen the True Blood pilot that is floatin around. I was very impressed.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm glad it's renewed, thrilled it's renewed, actually, but hope that a change in location and show runner don't hurt the show.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see more of Sophie. I hated Paul's kids, maybe Paul could adopted Sophie? I wouldn't mind seeing more of Jake and Amy, Jake definitely grew on me as the season progressed and we learned about his faux blue-collarness.

I hope Laura's out of the picture for good though.

Anonymous said...

I don't have much to add here other than I am so happy its coming back. I love to see a show where they really examine why people do things - especially when the characters are not truthful about their motivations, whether consciously or unconsciously.

Alan Sepinwall said...

According to the LA Times, the move has less to do with Leight than with New York creating tax incentives for film and TV productions to move there. (See also Ugly Betty moving to NYC this year.)

Matt said...

While I don't think I've seen more than a few minutes of CI, Warren Leight is a damn fine playwright--"Side Man" won the Best Play Tony and was a Pulitzer finalist, losing to "W;t," and "Glimmer Glimmer and Shine" was darn fine as well (though maybe just because it was the only chance I got to see John Spencer do stage work).

Oaktown Girl said...

I guess it's a good sign for the show that people feel so passionately about the various characters one way or the other.

For my part, I am bummed about Alex being gone. Blair Underwood totally kicked ass in that role. As someone mentioned here before on a thread a few weeks ago, maybe Alex's dad will return. His episode with Paul was outstanding.

Anonymous said...

The problem with this show is that it is far too easy for unwatched episodes to build up on the DVR. It's a real commitment. If you have a busy week, suddenly, you have five or ten episodes to watch. I had to give up after 15 or so episodes built up. It was too much.

Anonymous said...

Alan: Doesn't Gabriel Byrne make his home in NYC most of the year anyway, as well?

I'm very glad Garcia's sticking with the show, even in a reduced capacity.

I can see Jake continuing with the therapy, but not Amy. Hey, maybe they'll have miraculously made up between seasons, and Paul's still counseling them both.