Monday, June 16, 2008

Secret Diary of a Call Girl: Brokeback Belle

Very brief spoilers for the premiere of "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" coming up just as soon as I check my deodorant supply...

I said most of what I thought of the show in today's column: Billie Piper's quite saucy and fun, and I like the dissection of what a hooker's job actually entails beyond the obvious, but it's all quite superficial and safe. The premiere is mainly about the line Hannah tries to draw between her personal life and her work life as Belle, complete with her being drawn to, and then rejecting, a john who wanted the reality and not the fantasy. Not surprisingly, though, the more entertaining part of the episode was Belle helping her other new client saddle up.

What did everybody else think?

11 comments:

J said...

I haven't seen the show -- who has Showtime? -- but just want to say that, while I can see myself believing Billie Piper-as-high-class call girl, I totally don't buy her as a high-class call girl who blogs.

Anonymous said...

"Who has Showtime?"

Um, the thousands of people who have made Dexter, Weeds, and The Tudors into hits.

And you can watch the first two episodes online at http://www.sho.com/site/vip/home.do

Shawn Anderson said...

'high-class hooker who blogs'??

Unless it's coming later, there's no blogging going on here... just good old fashion fourth wall confessions.

The book the series is based on (Belle De Jour: The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl) might have been written by a call girl blogger, however... maybe that's what you're thinking of, j?

Hard to believe they just finished shooting a third season of this...

KrisMrsBBradley said...

She blogs in real life (or fake life, depending on who you talk to):

http://belledejour-uk.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I tried watching, but Billie Piper's face is too distracting, I can't concentrate on the show. She looks like the Joker.

Anonymous said...

Alan, I can't remember if you blog on Weeds or not. But last night's episode seemed more like a pilot than a 3rd series premiere, so if you don't, it might be a good place to start!

Alan Sepinwall said...

As I wrote yesterday morning, I'm done with Weeds.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or does this call girl look like Denise Richards?

Brien said...

I figured a British show about a call girl on Showtime would at least be good for some decent nudity. A bad show with good breasts is one thing, but a teasing bad show is a whole different ball of wax.

Anthony said...

watched the first three episodes and, well, I find it to be surprising boring for a show with so much simulated fellatio.

Mark said...

I liked the show - I really enjoyed Tracy Quan's novels about her life as a call girl in Manhattan, and it has the same tone. So far it hasn't really done anything I hadn't seen on Sex and the City, but it's only the first episode.

If anyone is interested in Weeds commentary, I blog about it every week. I enjoy reading your posts Alan, and it is disappointing that you won't be blogging about Weeds.