Wednesday, February 13, 2008

CBS announces which shows are coming back and when

God bless helpful network publicists. As we're all running around trying to figure out which scripted shows will be back this spring, when they'll be back, and how many episodes they'll be making, CBS put out a press release announcing exactly that for all their shows. For those who don't want to follow the link, I'll try to reprint the whole thing (the original press release involves columns and tables, so the formatting won't be the same here) after the jump. The major news from this blog's perspective is that "How I Met Your Mother" will be making nine more episodes. Nice.
SERIES
ANTICIPATED RETURN
EXPECTED # OF NEW EPISODES

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
March 17
9

THE BIG BANG THEORY
March 17
9

TWO AND A HALF MEN
March 17
9

CSI: MIAMI
March 24
8

COLD CASE
March 30
5

CRIMINAL MINDS
April 2
7

CSI: NY
April 2
7

CSI
April 3
6

WITHOUT A TRACE
April 3
6

GHOST WHISPERER
April 4
6

NUMB3RS
April 4
6

NCIS
April 8
7

MOONLIGHT
April 11
4

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
April 14
6

SHARK
TBA
4

* THE UNIT, CANE and SHARK are on previously announced hiatus to accommodate the mid-season launches of BIG BROTHER, JERICHO and DEXTER.

**The drama series SWINGTOWN, which hasn't been scheduled yet, will also resume production.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for HIMYM!

Anonymous said...

And Moonlight! Woohoo!

Matt said...

So, does this mean that HIMYM is officially off the bubble for a season 4?

Alan Sepinwall said...

So, does this mean that HIMYM is officially off the bubble for a season 4?

I would guess that any show with decent ratings will be back next year. We're going to see very few new shows next year, as the networks are going to use a lot of their promotional budget to relaunch new shows from this year in the fall.

Matt said...

I was just wondering because of last year's reports that Les Moonves hates HIMYM and doesn't "get it."

Alan Sepinwall said...

I still don't know if Les likes/gets it, but it doesn't matter this year. The rules are very different because of the strike. I expect nearly every bubble show to come back in some form next year.

memphish said...

So Alan, this means no more episodes of The Unit until the Fall? Will it be back in the Fall? Also, does on hiatus mean not in production like a certain actor on Cane could work in Hawaii?

W said...

I thought for sure Moonlight was gone for good. It's got a lot of plot holes but it sure did grow on me. The favorite part is all those LA skyline shots in HD. Are you going to be reviewing it any time soon?

Anonymous said...

Huzzah! Huzzah! Let me add my HOORAY at the reutn of HIMY and Moonlight. I could care less about the rest of those shows.

The only other show I care about on CBS is "Jericho" - Alan, is there any thought as to whether "Jericho" will get a 3rd season this fall, or will the 'Planters' folks be shipping ore nuts to CBS?

Alan Sepinwall said...

Well, the night one Jericho numbers were mediocre at best -- it beat an original Boston Legal but was edged out (barely) by an SVU rerun -- and this was after a fair amount of hype.

And if CBS cancels it a second time, don't waste your time or money on another SOS campaign. They won't be persuaded twice.

Anonymous said...

I would say, glass half full, good news that it beat an original "Boston Legal" - that's definitely something to hang their hat on.

After I read this post, I went back on the site and saw your earlier 'diss' of "Jericho" and while I obviously like the show a lot more than you, I can't say I disagree about Skeet Ulrich.

Imagine if say a Kyle Chandler, someone of that ilk was leading the show - it would be even better.

jcpbmg said...

so this means bays and thomas have no excuse as to having a Ted's 30th bday episode and an explanation of the goat

Anonymous said...

YAY! Nine more episodes of How I Met Your Mother.

BOO! Nine more episodes of Two And A Half Men.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Alan! I don't want any of those shows... not a single one... but I'm glad others are happy about the return of some of them. Now if NBC would just put that list out...

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant I don't WATCH any of those shows. Stupid typo.

Anonymous said...

BOO! Nine more episodes of Two And A Half Men.

You don't have to watch it.

I will, though :-)

A.H. said...

Hm. This list made me realize I don't watch a single show on CBS.

Anonymous said...

Maye HIMYM got its juices back during the strike. I watched seasons 1 and 2 in about a week span via Netflix and was enthralled and laughing a great amount. This season so far was good but didn't have the zing or zest that the first two seasons had.

bill said...

Nine more episodes of Two And A Half Men.

YAY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What pops out at me the most is that I don't watch very many CBS shows, though I have to admit, The Big Bang Theory was kind of growing on me in the fall.

Unknown said...

i no longer watch dexter since realizing it will be broadcast on regular tv shame on showtime for "hooking" us on the show in order to have watchers order extra pay channel in 2009!