Wednesday, April 08, 2009

HBO orders another season of 'Eastbound & Down'

HBO just renewed "Eastbound & Down." I admire the show's commitment and fearlessness, but I find it way too unpleasant to watch regularly. The full press release after the jump.
LOS ANGELES, April 8, 2009 - HBO has renewed the comedy series EASTBOUND & DOWN for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, Programming Group and West Coast Operations, HBO. Production on the new episodes will begin later this year, with debut slated for 2010.

Starring Danny McBride ("Tropic Thunder," "Pineapple Express"), EASTBOUND & DOWN tells the story of Kenny Powers, who used to be a star pitcher until his self-destructive behavior knocked him out of Major League Baseball. In the first season of the series, he returned home to North Carolina to teach Phys Ed at the middle school he once attended, and eventually scored another big-league job offer.

"EASTBOUND & DOWN's raucous comedy sparked a loyal and enthusiastic following that grew throughout the season, and we're happy to bring the show back for more innings," noted Lombardo. "It will be fun to see what happens to Kenny in season two."

The six-episode first season of EASTBOUND & DOWN, which concluded in March, inspired critical praise, as well as devoted viewers. Entertainment Weekly described the show as "a winner about a real loser," while the New Yorker observed, "Kenny Powers will live on in our minds after he's left the screen." The Hollywood Reporter hailed EASTBOUND & DOWN as "sublimely hilarious," and the Washington Post called it "the most recklessly funny comedy of the year."

The executive producers of EASTBOUND & DOWN are Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, Chris Henchy, Jody Hill, Danny McBride and Ben Best.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this show, yet was happy to leave it after the first series. Don't want to ruin a good thing. I hope that the creators have come up with another great arc for Kenny and the gang, maybe for another six.

Anonymous said...

This was the funniest show on tv this year.

dronkmunk said...

I think I heard something about them doing 8 final episodes, which could be perfect. Alan, I know you left this show after about the 3rd episode (easily its weakest), but that's unfortunate because it really got more flushed out and interesting for the last 3.

Anyway, this is great news.

Alan Sepinwall said...

I actually watched the finale. Still don't want to spend 30 minutes a week with Kenny Powers.

Matt said...

Despite the ending of episode 5 disturbing me more than any comedy I've ever seen, the season finale was really amazing. I know McBride has said they know what they'd do if they kept going, but didn't feel it was necessary, so I'm excited to see the continuing misadventures of Kenny Powers.

If Jody Hill can be believed, and they're going to do an eight-episode story and call it quits, "Eastbound & Down" will wind up being the closest American tv's gotten to recreating the tone and style of the British "Office."

Robert Cervantes said...

I am SUPER EXCITED to see this show come back. I so wouldn't mind if they gave it only another season. I think it deserves a shot. It's only a 30 min show and it has developed a niche audience. I know you gave up on it Alan, but it has its place.

Danny McBride did a really good job with this.

Fairview said...

This is great news. By far, my favourite comedy series in a long time.

Otto Man said...

This show is hysterical. Glad to see it's coming back.

Unknown said...

Alan, you say you also watched the finale, but you didn't say if you watched the entire season. After watching the whole season, I was surprised how easily you dismissed the show upon your initial reviews. I can understand that you're not a fan of the comedic style, but I'm surprised you didn't appreciate the presence of a sincere and (imho) well thought out storyline. In fact, I feel that the arc of this show was more relevant for a talkback than a lot of the other shows you cover with random plots like FotC & 30 Rock (I am a fan of those shows, though). AVclub.com was the only site I saw with episode recaps.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why everone is content w/ only 1 more season. Season 1 could have easily been stretched out for another 6-8 episodes. I don't really know where they're going to go from here, but I trust Danny McBride and Will Ferrel to make it worth my while for at least a few more seasons. Does anyone else feel like maybe Kenny Powers is a cross between Rod Beck and John Rocker?

Manton said...

Totally agree with Matt - finally an American answer to The Office in a totally American way. I loved these six episodes which is why I'm not too sure that I'd want another set. It's a fine ending - I hope they don't ruin what they have already....